Thursday 24 November 2011

Aah, the Joys of Monologue Therapy

You may be wondering why I started blogging in the first place, and if you're not wondering we I'm going to tell you anyways...

A few weeks back while being out on one of my outings to the mall I was perusing the book store, surprisingly I passed the cooking and crafts section and a book by the title Waiter Rant caught my eye.  They say to never judge a book by it's cover, but who ever listen to 'them' anyways?  I purchased the book and started reading; as you can imagine my social life being what it is I had a lot of time on my hands in the evenings and completed the book in about 4 of them.  The last chapter is what struck me the most, it was entitled, Throwing in the Apron.  For those who have been following my blog you already know that I work in a restaurant that I call HOES Place; unless I like the manager on duty and the colleagues that I am working with that day, the odds are that I don't want to be there.  My general manager has been known to be Generally Missing and the way that they have done hiring in the past is to take a pulse, if you have one, you're hired!

I have been there for the last two years and have seen five general managers.  Staff there knows that once a manager is brought into my location they are on their way out of the company - much like the NHL sending players to the Toronto Maple Leafs when they are contemplating retirement.  Staff also has a mischievous way of messing around with the management when they don't like them... hhmm, corporate audit time seems like a great time to start making mistakes. *wink wink*  The place is like a cockroach, no matter how many ways it's head gets chopped off the damn thing still won't die!

Anyways, I digress.  Back to the last chapter of Waiter Rant; it made me realize the importance of realizing one's potential and that being a server has a way of killing the ego.  Think about it, servers work for less than minimum wage, so approximately $9/hr with the expectations that they are receiving tips, in a normal dine in restaurant that does not lure you in with it's golden arches this is typically the case.  Servers working in fine dining restaurants can make more than the average Joe working a Monday-Friday 9-5 job; however, at HOEs this is not the case at all.  Tap water is the drink of choice (sometimes referred to as my town's Champagne) and trying to up sell a pint of beer or a glass of wine is like trying to sell a Ferrari to someone on social assistance.  Upon receiving the bill they look around trying to find a reason to complain about something in order for a manager to decrease the amount and then leave the discounted amount as the tip.  In other words, my 'worth' is then dwindled down to approximately $3.60 per table, if I'm lucky.  There was one Friday night a few weeks back that I had four tables and made $8!  Why are these people allowed to leave their homes?!  In all seriousness though, I do hope to one day leave HOEs (sooner rather than later) and move on to bigger and better things; no not more afghans, unless I make a business out of selling them, hhhmmmm...

Last night after my swimming expedition, my friend Eric mentioned that he finds my writing therapeutic.  I admitted to him that I find my blogging to be extremely calming.  I used to do the old version of old lady griping about my day to my family and friends; it would be a rant of about a half an hour and I still felt the need to go and break something.  The blog has become my "goosefraba" and I look forward to getting home from a long day or going about my grandma business, putting my pajamas on, making a mug of tea and releasing all of my day's frustrations into my keyboard.

Well that is it for today, the computer has been on since 9am this morning and I feel the effects of my Advil wearing off.  Time for a large cup of tea and some reading in my rocking chair.

Good night y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment